Healthy eating can often seem like hard work in the winter. When it’s dark at 4pm, freezing cold outside and shitting it down with rain, all I want to eat is stodgy, brown foods. I never think of salad because winter vegetables are generally not good salad ingredients. Sprout salad, anyone?
This is a doddle to throw together but adds a pop of lovely pastel purple to your dinner table. I’ve given the quantities to make enough for a side for 4 people and some left over. If you’re cooking for a crowd (or you just really love slaw) then double up the ingredients. This will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days in your fridge which also makes it a good make ahead dish.
If you have a food processor or mandolin in your kitchen, you should definitely use it to make this salad. I chucked all of the veg for this in my magimix (I have a mandolin too, but I’m a bit scared of it) with the slicing attachment and it was easy as hell and took no time at all. If you prefer a slightly chunkier slaw (or you don’t own a food processor) just slice it all by hand using a sharp chefs knife and tell all your mates it’s meant to be rustic.
- 1/2 a small red cabbage
- 1 Apple
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 sticks of celery
- A handful of crushed hazelnuts
- 100g Stilton
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Pinch of hot chilli powder (optional)
- Prepare your dressing in a large mixing bowl by mixing all of the wet ingredients and crumbling in the Stilton. Save some Stilton to use as a garnish. Season your dressing to taste with salt, pepper and sugar if it’s too sour for you. Add the chilli powder if using.
- Slice all of your vegetables, either by hand or using a food processor or mandolin (watch your fingers). Add these to the bowl of dressing.
- Crush your nuts (lol) using the blade of a large knife. Add these to the bowl, saving some to sprinkle over the top.
- Give everything a really good mix and season again if needs be.
- If your not eating this right away, transfer to a clean container and place in the fridge. If you are serving right away, transfer to a clean serving bowl and garnish with the reserved Stilton and nuts. If you don’t care much for fancy serving bowls, plonk the mixing bowl on your dinner table and get stuck in.