- 100g butter
- 150g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 passion fruits
- Place a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Be careful that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl. Stir until the butter is completely melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out all the gunk inside. Add this to the sugar and butter; juice, seeds and all.
- Beat the egg yolks lightly and add to the other ingredients.
- Whisk the curd and continue to cook over the Bain Marie until it has thickened enough to to coat the back of a spoon. It’s important to keep the curd moving so that you don’t end up with lumps of cooked egg in your curd.
- Remove from the bowl and place in a clean jar or plastic container. Once cooled keep refrigerated and use within a week.
- If you don’t like the seeds, or you live with a fussy child who finds seeds highly suspicious, once you curd is cooked strain through a metal sieve.
- If you get bored of whisking the curd and wander off only to return to weird, fruity scrambled egg, remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to wazz the shit outta that mess. You won’t have a perfectly silky curd, but it’ll still taste good and you won’t have to bin it.